This lantern reputedly came from the Bucentaur, the state barge of the Doge of Venice. Dating from 1680 - 1700, the lantern is largely made from repoussé copper and brass elements. It is 4 metres in height and weighs 150 kilos.
The conservation work included dismantling and cleaning, repairs and realignment, the replacing of missing elements and regilding.
A new, central stainless steel bar was inserted for structural stability, and all electrical fittings replaced to meet current standards.