Under contract to the City of London, we regularly maintain over 80 public sculptures, fountains and plaques including this sculpture in Festival Gardens.
This bronze figure group of two seated young male and female figures is mounted on a short pedestal plinth and larger stepped base. Mounted on the front of the pedestal plinth is a bronze title plaque engraved 'THE YOUNG LOVERS GEORGE EHRLICH 1897 - 1966'. The sculpture dates from 1950-51.
George Ehrlich was born in Vienna in 1897. He trained as a painter at the Kunstgewerbeschule, turned to sculpture in the late 1920s and emigrated to London just before the Second World War. In England much of his work was devoted to animals and small children. His work is included in the collections of the Tate, British Museum and V&A.