The Royal Household asked us to carry out a full inspection of this statue and plinth and provide a full condition report with conservation recommendations.
The bronze is signed by Josias Ibach, 1679, though existing research suggests that the sculpture was made after a model by Grinling Gibbons.
Gibbons also designed the carved marble panels which decorate the pedestal plinth. The bronze was commissioned by Tobias Rustat to commemorate both the King's fiftieth birthday and the twentieth anniversary of his Restoration.
The statue now stands at the foot of the Round Tower in the Upper Ward at Windsor Castle.